The Youth Mentoring Collaborative’s Summer Social Justice Academy is an intensive three-week paid hybrid summer experience for youth to explore how to respond to some of society’s most pressing issues impacting them, including mental health, access to high-quality education, contact with the criminal justice system, and economic opportunities.
YMC will select twenty-five (25) youth applicants to join the 2023 program.
2023 Program Details
- High-school aged students; rising 9th through rising 12th graders
- Able to travel to Durham, North Carolina for the in-person program experiences
- Part of a mentoring program (preferred)
Not sure if you're eligible to apply? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, "Summer Social Justice Academy Eligibility."
In-person opening: Monday, July 10 & Tuesday, July 11
Virtual: Thursday, July 13; Monday, July 17; Tuesday, July 18; Thursday, July 20; Monday, July 24; Tuesday, July 25
Closing retreat & graduation: Thursday, July 27
- Receive a $250.00 stipend
- Engage in peer learning and group projects
- Learn about the rich history of youth civic engagement in NC
- Meet social justice advocates from across the state
- Complete a project throughout the program that showcases learning objectives; this project will be used to support nonprofit programs in the Triangle
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the mentoring movement in the Carolinas and beyond
How do I apply?
You can apply using the button below! The 2023 Summer Social Justice Academy application is comprised of four parts:
- Information about you, the student, like your email address, phone number, grade, and so forth.
- Long-answer questions about how this experience will benefit you; we recommend typing these answers in a separate document and then copying and pasting them into the application.
- Parent, guardian, or emergency contact information. You will need a parent or guardian's presence for this section.
- Your pledge to participate fully in the Academy.
Applications are due no later than Friday, April 28th, 2023 at 11:59pm.
Learn how you, as a young person, can advocate for change in your community.
Are you a mentee looking for information about mentoring? We got you!
That's ok! Stay up-to-date with our happenings by reading our blog.