Who We Are and What We Do
The Youth Mentoring Collaborative (YMC) is a capacity-building organization dedicated to increasing the number of Black and Brown youth in identity-affirming mentoring relationships while working to dismantle the systemic barriers that youth and their families face on a daily basis. This includes providing training, resources, public awareness, and advocacy that supports the expansion of mentoring initiatives that promote the health and well-being of young people and families most impacted by systems of oppression. For more information about our services, visit our Capacity page.
The mission of the Youth Mentoring Collaborative (YMC) is to increase the number of black and brown youth in identity-affirming mentoring relationships while working to dismantle the systemic barriers that youth and their families face on a daily basis.
This includes providing training, resources, public awareness, and advocacy that supports the expansion of mentoring initiatives that promote the health and well-being of young people and families most impacted by systems of oppression.
ACE: How we achieve our mission
- Regularly collect data to identify gaps and share findings to increase understanding of the impact of and need for mentoring
- Convene local mentoring providers, and promote networking, collaboration, and shared learning
- Lead public awareness campaigns to increase the general public’s knowledge of the need for high-quality mentoring
- Enable a range of organizations to start, manage, and expand mentoring initiatives to meet the local demand
- Provide ongoing training and consulting to ensure quality standards in all mentoring efforts
- Support the recruitment of mentors to significantly increase the number of youth in quality mentoring relationships
- Help local systems integrate mentoring as an evidence-based intervention proven to maximize impact in a range of outcome areas
- Identify ways to leverage or increase human, financial, or in-kind investments in mentoring initiatives
- Advocate for legislation, policies, and public funding streams to support the mentoring movement
Through healthy youth-adult relationships, mentoring has the power to disrupt the status quo and build a safer, smarter, and more socially conscious world.
No one wants to be a part of an organization where values are just words–that is why we do it for the culture at Youth Mentoring Collaborative!
At YMC, we play off of each other's vibes with the goal of bringing out the best in one another, and we carry that same attitude into our work with partners. We believe that through genuine connections, we can do meaningful work, be ourselves, and have fun, all while doing our part in building a more just and equitable society. Our commitment to the values of collaboration, relationships, growth, courage, and joy all reflect a deep aspiration to normalize a work culture that is safe, both physically and psychologically.
- We believe working well with others is essential to building a more just and equitable society.
- We believe that the best decisions are made when those impacted are included in the conversation.
- We will take the time necessary to be thoughtful about who we partner with and why.
- We choose to cultivate and maintain healthy, mutually beneficial relationships.
- We will take an active role in being helpful to others and strive to do no harm.
- We believe that compassion and empathy for one another are necessary for our collective survival.
- We choose to be conscious and guided by the most precise understandings that we are capable of through continuous learning.
- We are willing to put in work for knowledge.
- We embrace lessons that come from falling and getting back up.
- We will honor ourselves and others by showing up authentically.
- We will do what we believe is right, even if it means taking an unpopular stance or facing criticism from others.
- We will take risks and be bold.
- We believe fulfillment and happiness come from doing work that matters in ways that center on human dignity.
As we continue to grow as an organization, it has become more important to explicitly define how we develop our culture, brand, and strategies. We strive to embody our Mission, Vision, and Values in all we do.
Our Guiding Principles
Explore our guiding principles; the why we do the work and who is most in need of and impacted by the work.
Our Donation Policy
Youth Mentoring Collaborative strives to embody its mission, vision, and values in all organizational activities, including how to solicit and/or accept gifts.
Youth Mentoring Collaborative is proud to center black, brown, and queer youth as the basis for the work we do.