Carolinas Youth Mentoring Symposium: The Courage to Thrive
The Carolinas Youth Mentoring Symposium is an annual gathering that brings together mentoring practitioners, researchers, philanthropic investors, youth leaders, government and civic leaders, and others interested in exploring how to expand mentoring initiatives that promote the health and well-being of young people and families most impacted by systems of oppression.
This year’s symposium will feature topics that elevate the power of identity-affirming mentoring relationships, provide practitioners with practical tools and knowledge to bring to their work, and introduce a youth track with opportunities for young people to explore their potential.
NEW THIS YEAR
- Youth Track
- Outstanding Youth Leaders of the Year Scholarship Awards
- Interactive activities
- Door prizes
- Speaker panels and roundtable discussions
Young people and mentoring organizations have navigated unprecedented challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, with black and brown youth and BIPOC-led agencies being the most impacted by its devastating effects. Despite this, young people and mentoring programs across the country have boldly adjusted to the realities of life under COVID-19, demonstrating strength, resilience, and courage in the face of adversity.
Join us to collaborate, build relationships, and reflect on what is necessary to maintain “The Courage to Thrive”—even when times are tough.
9:00 am – 10:00 am Coffee and Conversations
10:00am – 10:10am Welcome
10:10 am – 10:50 am Opening Plenary: Youth POWER: Leadership in Action
11:00am – 12:15pm Concurrent Sessions, featuring:
- Professional Track: Maintaining Equity and Authenticity in Storytelling
- Professional Track: Preparing Your Organization for Critical Mentoring
- Professional Track: Joy as a Radical Framework for Helping Professionals
- Youth Track: Youth Accessible Entrepreneurship: Skills, Stories, and Strategies
- Youth Track: How to Build Relationships to Achieve your Dreams
- Youth Track: So You Want to Work in the Music Industry?
12:20 pm – 1:25 pm Lunch; awards ceremony and music
1:45pm – 3:00pm Concurrent Sessions, featuring:
- Professional Track: Advocacy and Elected Officials: How to Engage
- Professional Track: Collective Impact in Action
- Youth Track: Relationship Building, Games, and Fun
3:15pm – 3:50pm Closing Plenary: An Urgent Conversation: Healing and Black Male Achievement
3:50pm – 4:00pm Conference Wrap Up & Next Steps