Youth Mentoring Collaborative provides capacity-building consulting for free to organizations with annual revenues of less than 1 million and at market rates to organizations with annual revenues greater than 1 million. Our services support the overall youth services ecosystem by building practitioners' and organizations' capacities to meet their mission. This includes providing training, resources, public awareness, and advocacy that supports the expansion of mentoring initiatives.
What does capacity building mean?
We like the National Council of Nonprofits' definition as outlined below:
Capacity building is whatever is needed to bring a nonprofit to the next level of operational, programmatic, financial, or organizational maturity, so it may more effectively and efficiently advance its mission into the future. Capacity building is not a one-time effort to improve short-term effectiveness, but a continuous improvement strategy toward the creation of a sustainable and effective organization.
Research shows that by committing to quality improvements, programs can nurture stronger, longer lasting mentoring relationships. Through capacity-building consultations, Youth Mentoring Collaborative works with well-established, newly-developing programs, and those in between to improve their quality and impact.
Project Application Cycles
YMC offers two application cycles for projects annually to apply for support as follows:
2023 Fall Application Cycle
Jul 10 – Aug 11, applications accepted
Aug 14 – Sept 1, approvals
Sept 5 – Jan 31, project period
2024 Spring Application Cycle
Jan 8 – Feb 9, applications accepted
Feb 12 – Mar 1, approvals
Mar 4 – Jul 31, project period
How We Can Help
YMC will ensure adequate support is in place for managing board/staff development and training, resource development, or other needed organization development activities to support the sustainability of the organization, including but not limited to:
- Shepherding the strategic planning process
- Building and supporting Boards of Directors, Advisory Boards, and/or Youth Leadership Councils
- Creating a fund development plan
- Conducting individual/organizational equity readiness assessments
- Develop a marketing plan to articulate the role and value proposition of the organization for various stakeholders
YMC will support the development of a program evaluation plan to measure the effectiveness of the organization in reaching expected programmatic outcomes, including but not limited to:
- Developing or enhancing a logic model or theory of change
- Developing or enhancing a process for conducting surveys, focus groups, and interviews among mentors, mentees, families, and other key stakeholders
- Analyzing and creating a plan for improvement based on evaluation results
- Communicating evaluation results to key stakeholders
- Staff training on program evaluation
YMC will provide ongoing training and consulting to program staff, mentors, mentees, and parents to ensure quality standards in all mentoring areas, including but not limited to:
- Reviewing the relevant research related to your program model/service population
- Supporting the implementation of the Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring™
- Incorporating Healing-Centered Mentoring™ practices into program design and structure
- Developing or reviewing written policies and procedures
- Collaborate with youth leaders/mentees from the organization to develop initiatives, partnerships, programs, and content
Looking for a paid consultancy?
We accept paid clients on a rolling basis!
Because our work is made possible through grants, sponsorships, and contracts, we believe that organizations that can afford to pay for our services should do so. Learn more about our equitable approach to pricing and how we can help your organization by clicking below.
We recommend you bookmark this page and register for any and all upcoming events that interest you!
Stay up-to-date on YMC's current happenings, guides, news, conversations, and more by checking out our blog.
2022 was a big year for YMC. We rebranded, hosted our first Symposium, and grew the team. Learn more about our accomplishments and updates in our Annual Report.
In the meantime, follow us on social media!
[Working with YMC has been] Transformative. We're significantly clearer on our desired outcomes and how to measure and report on our progress toward those outcomes.
Derek Rhodes, Durham Success Summit
Derek Rhodes, Durham Success Summit
Meet Our Team of Experts
Our talented team of nonprofit practitioners offer an unmatched depth of knowledge and experience.
Tools & Resources
Our resource library is stacked with tools and resources curated specifically for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read this page for answers to some of the most common questions about working with YMC.